Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Thursday 20 December 2018

Woodworking workshop

I had three things to do on my trip to Liverpool to see my Mum, see my new granddaughter and go along to one of only a few Wood turners clubs in the UK and it's in Liverpool. The wood turners is held in an old boat house in a famous park. Silly me went to the wrong lake in the wrong park  looking for the boat house anyway enough of that. When I got to the correct place I must say I was given such a warm welcome but what do you expect from fellow Scousers. I met Eric, Paul, Liz and Sue and many more but I can't remember all there names.
The main reason was I wanted to learn how to sharpen the tools and I was shown a number of ways to sharpen the gouges and it was so valuable what I was able to see and how easy it seems to do.

Watching Liz was so enjoyable because of what she was doing with a piece of wood others may shy away from. There where plenty of people around to offer advice and help when needed but it was Sue I watched most. As the bottom picture shows Sue is in a wheelchair but that doesn't seem to hamper her in her work and I must say Sue seems such a happy person. Sue was making the cylinders that you put the parts for pens into and I stood to watch the whole process. Although I have put a picture of Sue at work I did ask permission to take a picture and that I would put the picture her for everybody to see.


 This is Sue making the bodies for Pens  and the end product was perfect.













I must say I have pinched a few ideas from some of the things saw being made. Remarkably some of the newer members where doing amazing pieces of work and I learnt quite a lot from them. Next time I go to Liverpool and have time to spend I certainly will visit the climb again but next time I will go to the correct boat house.

A long time ago I got myself a Lathe when I saw them on promotion in a store in a place called Coimbra. Over a period of time I have enjoyed making table lamps but I knew my lathe was going to provide me with more pleasure than just table lamps.


I didn't want to cut this picture just to show what I can now make on my lathe. I also make cutting boards as the picture show because i love to see just what I am able to do now I have retired. The reason I want to make things is because I have lots of Olive, Cherry and Sycamore to make things from.






The Cherry is from two trees close to me that have just been cut down and they now need to dry out.
Eucalyptus where I live is a cash crop and used to make Pellets for heating and I have a Pellet burner. I also have a quantity of Eucalyptus that I had wanted to use for the two main uprights for my veranda some time ago. The reason I didn't use it was it was to heavy to lift into position so I used other timbers but the Eucalyptus is cut down into manageable pieces so one day it will get used on my Lathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment