Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Tuesday 22 November 2011

My roof still isn't finished and i am getting a little fed up about it.

I had a leak in my roof where the chimney was taken down. This has caused me no end of problems that are delaying me so much. I have now found a local builder who will be here sometime this week to relay the tiles that where put up after i had the chimney taken down. Until this is done i can't carry on with the wall insulation as the rain is coming down the walls.

It's a pain not being able to carry on and get the kitchen finished but this is now getting a bit tiring as i want to get the job done. I do have so many other things done and i am making progress. Yesterday i put up my ceiling fan. The ceiling in the lounge has now been painted. That also brings me onto the story of paint. What we call paint in the UK and what is sold in Portugal as paint is worlds apart. I have put four coats onto the ceiling to cover a horrid green paint and it's still not good but it's better. I am when i go to Leyroy Merlin again getting a Yellow dye to make some of the paint a pale Yellow for my walls in the lounge. The lounge will have a wall taken down and the other walls insulated next summer but for now i just want to freshen up the room.

Right now i have my Christmas lights up in the cellar. As they have been in a box since we got them in 2003 in Orlando they need to be twisted in them taken out so they hang straight. What i am doing with them is putting weights on them and soon when i put them up they will look good.

It does look like this year that i won't have my kitchen completed in time but i have all the time in the world to get it done so if it takes into the new year then so be it. I know i was taking my time but the delay over the chimney and now the roof leaking has just put completion back so it's not the end of the world and there are so many people so worse of than me.

4 comments:

  1. I feel for you. I've been repairing my roof too, and it has been a hassle. I'm half way done, but I still have lots of stuff to do. I feel so sad for your kitchen though. I hope that you've finished it by now. Good luck!

    Brendan Gertner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your 'can do' spirit. Just carry on with your home repairs and, before your know it, everything will be completed. I hope your problem with the leaking roof is fixed soon, so that you can proceed with other aspects of your kitchen repair project.

    Norbert Floth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that was hard - that you had so many things to accomplish and yet one detail was keeping you from doing so. Here I realized that the roof is like our pinky: the whole body gets affected once it gets hurt. Anyway, you’d be dealing with wall insulation, so I guess there’s really no better way but to wait. How long did it take for the roof to be finished, Peter? -->Son Lakhani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, that’s downright frustrating! In our old house, we too had a leaking roof and it’s really annoying specially when the rain gets heavy, and water coming down the walls. Since the house is really old (a hand-me-down from my grandparents), my parents decided to replace the old roof with a new one. Now, gone are the days when we experience sleepless nights because of roof leaks! Hugh Dinatale

    ReplyDelete