Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Friday 20 July 2018

I was a butcher many years ago

A long time ago i was a butcher and i must admit times then where happy. I enjoyed Thursdays and Friday morning most. These days where the preparation for the weekend trade. My job was to split the lambs for display in the windows and the occasional Pig but this would just be for joints and Chops ect.

For the Pigs we had a special double hook to hold the Pig for cutting, well look at the picture below at what i found today.


Here where i live this would be used to hang the Pig from it's legs i used a stainless steel double hook but i can see this would work just the same. I found this in the cellar of the house being renovated close to my house. Seeing this did bring back lots of memories and good memories.

2 comments:

  1. You are right Peter. Seeing that wooden piece also bring my memories back.When I was a kid the people in small villages used to help each other a lot,hard times but life was much easier through the help of the community."A matança do porco" , literally the killing the pig event, was so exciting because that means fresh meat to the people's table.And yes that hardwood stick double hook shape was familiar to me too.It's made usually from hardwood like olive trees or something.It's really nice to see that hook! that piece in portuguese is called the "Chambaril"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joao Simple things bring back fond memories of a time gone by but good memories.

    ReplyDelete