Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Monday 22 August 2011

The Kitchen has now been started. Pt1


Well you will see from the following photos how work has got on in the kitchen. I have included first before photos and then as I go along the photos of work to prepare for my new kitchen. I may say from here on that all you see was done by me, no stunt double. If it hadn't been for Anthony I could not have got so far in a short time. Anthony had a power tool commonly called a Jack hammer and without this I could have demolished the kitchen. All you see is made from concrete with steel inserted for strength.




The first thing I did was to remove a work surface at the side of the sink, I only have a picture after I removed the work surface but you can see where it was. This was the first time that I had to use a Jack hammer.

Next came what had been some kind of cooking platform as above it was a huge air vent. This was easy as I now knew what I was faced with concrete and steel for support. Even with a Jack hammer it was slow work but it did come down in the end. Thick concrete and steel is not something that you would find in a kitchen but I am in Portugal and things seem to be built to last.




Well it's now the air vent the part I left till the last above the cooking surface. I had packed a step ladder with me when I moved and it's just as well. The vent like all the rest was concrete and Steel. From one of the photos you can see the extent of the steel in the vent. This took a good two days to take down but not without some drama. The step ladder decided that it had had enough it decided to just collapse with me ending up on the floor. Pity that happened as I had had that ladder quite some time and I expected to be using it for a long time to come. As luck had it in the cellar I found another step ladder but the one I found was not made from aluminium thank god at least this will support my weight they seem to have a love of steel here in Portugal. Well what I had started to do was to remove a section of the air vent at a time and this seemed a good choice. But because it was so hot work was slow and bit by bit it was down and just a bit of tidying up to do.




I need to have the kitchen ready to have all the electrical work done. As the kitchen stands there is only one ceiling light and only one socket. How people lived like this is beyond me but the old lady who lived here before me must have had a hard life in each room there is only one socket and a ceiling light. In the kitchen I want to have in the ceiling four LED spotlights and in the walls four twin sockets. Unlike the old lady I have all the things that make life easy. From my bread maker to mixers etc. Now all that is left is to remove the sink but in the mean time I need to make a temporary sink on a work surface. I have all my base units for my kitchen with me that I got from the UK. I will put them together in the lounge so that I have somewhere to prepare

No comments:

Post a Comment