Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Wednesday 17 August 2011

The cost of fuel to move from Liverpool to Gois in Portugal


Let me say from the start that I drove from Liverpool to Gois and stayed at 60 miles per hour as much as I could I never drive over 60 so as to save the cost of fuel. I also wanted to enjoy the journey and not get into a race.

My journey started of from my Mums in Liverpool almost next door to an Asda. Asda sell Lpg auto gas, so it was here that I filled up for the start of my journey to a new home and a new life. I put in £25 of petrol and Filled up on gas app 58 litres at a cost of £40.34. I only put in £25 of petrol because I had hopped that I could get through to Gois on Gas.

My gas ran out after 342 miles not quite as I had hopped but still good. It was 52 miles before I could get refilled with gas and at this point I was running on petrol. Gas is easy to get in France but the motorway service areas are much further apart than in the UK. My first fill was £53.69 and then I was on my way again. My next gas was for £27.01 this time I filled because I was at a service area with gas and not because I needed it. My next fill was just over the border into Spain and the first service area had gas so I started to fill and got just £1.27 yes that's right the service station had a power failure. Just my luck I could have filled enough to get me through Spain and into Portugal. I decided to push on and stop at the next service area that sold gas. Just my luck to need gas in a country that is only just starting to use gas and i found no more gas till i reached Portugal.

I crossed into Portugal at 11am in the morning on the 4th August a little ahead of my expected time for this point in my trip. I came across gas part way to Gois and filled up with £35.50. Due to the heat gas expands and where in the UK I have had 61.3 litres in a 60 litre tank here I could get less than 50 litres so that's why a fill was much less than before.

Now I am here in Gois I have no problem filling up with gas. What I do is fill up each time I pass a garage that sells gas. Would I recommend gas Yes at 71 cents per litre against petrol at app 1.60 Euro that's less than half price. Prices I have found in Portugal are from 65 cents to 77cents. The one I use most is 71.5 cents per litre. Just a little way past Lousa.

When I first got my car converted I went to a local installer who was a Uk registered installer so insurance was ok, car tax was a little lower and after over 100,000 miles I would not change.

So in total my mileage was 1392 miles travelled. Gas I covered 1087 at a cost of app £117 and milage was 305 on petrol at a cost of £91.68 now the petrol figure is not quite correct for the mileage because before I crossed into Portugal I filled up as the petrol was a lot cheaper that in Portugal.

Well I hope that I have been a help to others planning the trip like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment