Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Saturday 6 August 2011

The drive and the Hotels

Well the drive down to the ferry went without any problems and i got to Portsmouth in plenty of time to catch the night ferry. It seems that all cars that are not normal height those with a roof box etc are not loaded till last so my getting to the ferry early did me no good. Well never mind on first or on last didn't matter but getting on did.

On the ferry i booked a reclining sleeper seat for £5 it was not a bad deal comfy seat and only a fiver, for those who can sleep anywhere they would have got a good nights sleep, me if it's not a bed i can't sleep. But i did get some rest and it was needed for the next day for the start of the drive to my new home.

I had planned to stop at a place called Poitiers but as the weather was so good i only stopped for a break and went for a walk round a huge Auchen hypemarket. After a break i started on my way to a place called Angouleme another 110 km's in total the first day i did 553 km in total or 343 miles. While i stopped at Poitiers i used the Wifi at a McDonalds to book a night at a Formulae 1 hotel. The easy way to find a place to stay is from the " find on a map " on the left hand site of the site page. I clicked on an area i new i would be and it showed 6 hotels. I wanted the hotel that was further from Le Havre it came up with one in Anglouleme. The price per night for up to 3 is only 31 euro and that is very good value included in the price was free Wifi. During the booking process the hotel Longitude and Latitude are given for the Tom Tom sat navs. I always travel with a sat nav so this was invaluable. There is a link to the Formulae 1 hotels below.

Formulae 1 Hotels

I was in bed early so i could get a good rest after the ferry crossing and the first leg of the drive. I started the next day a 8am and started to drive south. The skies where blue and with not many clouds to spoil the view as i drove south. I intended to stop for the night at Bilboa and i took a well earned break in Bordeaux after a break it was back to the roads. As it was still reasonably early by the time i got close to making my way to Bilbao i decided to carry on to a place down the main motorway to Portugal and a place called Valladolid. As i entered Valladolid i could not find a McDonalds to use there Wifi so i connected my mobile to my laptop to get online i soon found that there where no Formulae 1 hotels here but there where some Ibis hotels and all part of the same hotel group. Ibis are not as cheap as Formulae 1's but abed for the night was needed so i booked and got the sat nav setting and soon found the hotel and paid the 56 euro that was charged for the room. I soon settled in and got my laptop out but only to find that the Wifi was 5 euro. I am not mean but if at 56 euro and no free Wifi against 31 euro and free Wifi i could do without going on line for one night.


Ibis hotels in Spain

Well the next day was it the day i arrive in Portugal, It was 11am as i drove over the border from Spain to Portugal well not far now. All went well until i got onto the new roads outside of Tabua and i seemed to get lost. I was using an old Tom Tom and the maps are more that 4 years out of date. I have a new Garmin that i left in my van when i first came over with most of my belongings. But never mind Tabua is not far from Gois and. I arrived in Gois at about 1.30pm on a beautiful sunny afternoon. Well the journey is now over and it's time to enjoy a buy new life, first to do is a new kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment