Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Wednesday 22 August 2012

My yearly house tax bill or rates as it's called in the UK

Some time ago i received an official looking letter from the Serviço de Finanças GOIS and dated 23rd May i had intended to deal with it as soon as i could. Normally i get things sorted and paid quickly but somehow this i missed until i was looking through my car details i carry around with me in the car.

I went of to the Finanças office in GOIS to find out just what is was that needed my attention. This being my first year  i didn't realize that is was to remind me to pay my house tax.

The guy in the Finanças speaks very good English so he was able to explain quickly that it was the tax for my house. Sadly he said that i was also to pay a fine and interest for late payment.

The cost of my house tax for the year was 30.58€ but the fine was what i was worried about and interest. Anyway he printed of a bill with everything itemized and the fine and interest was a further 19.64€. So in total my tax for the year 50.22€.

In the UK i was paying more than 30.58€ just for one week, i was reminded that i have to pay my tax in April next year and that i will if only to save paying another fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment