Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Saturday 21 April 2012

Car registration is now complete.

When i was at the Customs office in Aveiro and the process of getting my car made legal was complete the lady said next week you will receive a letter with my new Registration number on it. I have waited in all week till after the postman had been each day. I was begging to get worried, just because the lady at Customs told me all was done i worried that something could or had go wrong. Yesterday Thursday was over a week and still no letter till today. I could hear the postman on his motorbike coming down the lane from Pias and down into Vale Boa. I waited at the door and he was soon coming up the lane to the houses at the top of the village past me to the house at the top. Then down to Fernando's house and lastly down to me and yes he had my letter along with my water bill. Speaking of water bills mine has gone up now to 6.07€ don't you wish those in the UK had water bills like that. Anyway i opened the letter from the Customs office and there it was confirmation that i had my car now legal here in Portugal. My new number was there and all i need to do is go to the local car shop and have my new plates made up. Then a call to the insurance to inform them of the change to my car.

Well it was not as bad as you would believe after some of the stories on the various Expat Forums. Some stories would have you believe that it's a nightmare and that it's better to pay an agent to get things done. Well i am glad that i did it myself, not because i have saved money but because i was confident that i could do it.

All that's needed now is to go to the shop in Arganil and get my new plates.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Peter - your story has encouraged me to do it myself when I get there. I copied your instructions, though I have found that there is a variation for a Canadian car, we do not get the same certificate for the car, so I have started looking into that.

    Cheers,Ana
    P.S. I showed, my OH your blog, we were both wondering what the tree in front of the house is.

    P.P.S. Your writing always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete