Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Thursday 22 July 2021

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ????

 

In the late Sixties i became interested in tropical fish and my most favourite was called a Ramerizi cichlid a picture of a male is listed below. I was so proud of myself when i could pronounce the Latin name Apistogramma Ramerizi.

There was a a monthly magazine that i used to read called Tropical Fish Hobbyist. I found a story of some scientist who reclassified My favourite fish as Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. I had worked hard to be able to pronounce with pride to my family the name of my fish.

Now over 50 years later i now have fish again but i also got three Ramirezi a couple of weeks ago. It's very difficult to sex these fish but learnt how many years ago. I got myself what i thought was one male and two females. Over the last few weeks as the fish have settled down in my tank i now could see two males OK a bonus.

Today when i went to feed the fish room this morning i find i now have three males. The problem now is i need to buy at least four or five females as i would like to breed them again.

I have ordered the glass to make four tanks to start a breeding program more about that when i get the glass and the new tank.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment