Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Thursday 31 May 2012

TV and computer unit.

For a while i have had my TV on top of a huge coffee table that due to it's size across the corner of the lounge looked out of place. I had to do something so i decided to build a purpose made corner unit to fit the TV, routers, phone, speaker and external hard drive, keyboard and computer.

The problem i had was not being able to speak Portuguese. I made a drawing of what i wanted complete with quantity and sizes. I went to a local timber supplier with my drawings and he could see what i wanted. We walked around until we found just the type of wood i wanted, something like Mahogany. He studied the drawings and first cut the two pieces i wanted at that would fit under the top shelf. After cutting and planing he then formed the round bit on one edge. Great one part of the job done. It only took a few minuets and he found a plank to cut the shelf from and form the angles to fit it into the corner. He took his time to make sure that he cut the angle at each end correct and then molded the facing edge with a half round profile.

All this was one while i waited, after it was all done he went away into his office and came out a few minuets later this was it how much. He wrote down the price 12.5€ i was shocked as in the UK hard wood like a Mahogany is very expensive but 12.5€ and cut and molded while i waited what a bargain.

I came home and put up my new TV shelf and i was so proud of what i had done. The only down side was having my routers, phone, speaker and external hard drive, keyboard and computer all on show.

To make the job even better i went back to the same timber guy for the same order again but i also wanted a piece that would fit at either side between the two shelves. I left my drawing with the timber man and called back later to find everything done as i required. This time with the extra piece that was a meter long and 100mm wide the total cost was 15€. Boy i just love this timber guy.


This does look good well i think so anyway. The next part will be doors on the front between the shelves.

After the top half has been finished it will be doors on the bottom half and then it will all be done and complete. I tried a little wax on the top left hand side to see how it would look and i think that the wax finish may just finish of the job. I will wait till all is done and then start to put the finishing touches in place.

Maybe a light behind the TV i don't know but next week i will carry on with the doors. I may have what is called By fold, two doors on each side with a centre hinge but lets wait till next week.








When i left school i started work as a butcher and sadly never got a trade apart from my years as a butcher. I am so proud of what i have done i had to take a picture to show just how accurate a job i have done.

Spot on straight with the bubble in the middle. How proud am i.

No comments:

Post a Comment