Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Monday 16 July 2012

Last man standing has now gone. No6 is no more.

This morning at 7.20am i was woken by a noise, a noise that i couldn't figure out what it was. I had been in the middle of a dream, i lay there trying to get back to it but i couldn't. I lay there till 8.30 when because of the noise i got up. It seems that a neighbor was having his land strimed. All his grass was now burnt by the sun a browny colour and dead and it was a fire hazard. After the guy had done his job he just left all the dead grass where it was, now that is a fire hazard and opposite my front door.

Last night i went up before to check how No6 my cockerel was. He was the last surviver of the attack by what may have been a Mongoose. He was on his feet and was looking better than he had so i was hopeful that maybe he will survive. How wrong i was before i even had my morning cup of tea i went to check how he was. Shock he was lying on his side but still breathing but looking like he was on his last gasp for breath. I went back an hour later and he had passed away. That's all my birds gone.

I tried not to get to involved but after raising them from what looked like little balls of fluff to only a couple of weeks away from laying eggs. It was a very sad start to the day but you must get on with things. No6 was named after my liking of the cult program The Prisoner who himself like my No6 was a prisoner. The only difference was that my No6 is now dead.

I saw an advert for chickens for sale after emailing the seller i find that they are between 10 and 15 months old and they are already laying eggs. Well that may sort out my breakfasts. Now how about pigs laying Bacon now that would be good.






1 comment: