Peter's Blog

Iberianspices spicesiberia

Monday 5 March 2012

Turkey wings what a find

Well as an ex butcher my skills where used again today. Back in the 60's it was common for most of our customers to be short of money. The cheaper cuts of meat where always in great demand Belly pork, Lamb breasts and shoulder of lamb, Brisket and the skirt from the breast, Shin beef, Ox tail to name but a few cuts. This is going back to the days before the supermarkets had such vast selection of meat products and in fancy packaging but you never see the more economical cuts.

I could never understand that today chicken wings are so popular when you consider that they are no bigger than your little finger. Today i saw a massive selection of Turkey wings huge meaty things. I asked for two turkey wings and when they where weighted they where 1.5 kg that's over 3lb in weight. The bones will be used to make stock so nothing is going to waste.

I decided that i would make a chicken casserole simple good food and very good as all the ingredients where fresh. I cut the wings into four and when i took the meat from the wings i was surprised by the amount of meat on each  part of the wing nothing in relation to what is on a chicken wing.

I got four good size portions of meat from the wings after i had taken the meat of the bones, the portions where big enough for someone like me who lives on there own. Anybody can buy the best and most expensive cuts of meat but not everybody can use the more economical cuts. Stock and meat for four meals for a little under 3€ now that's not bad.

I am glad that i was a butcher in the 60's and had such staff i worked with who took the time to teach me a trade that is coming in so handy today more than 45 years later.   

No comments:

Post a Comment